After the immensely positive response to our previous episode on the Weinstein brothers - thanks @robertwiblin! - we thought we would keep giving the people what they want, and what they want is a long discussion on climate change. Specifically, the subject for today is: "The State of the Climate Debate". We touch on:
- The near perfect partisan split on climate change
- Will there be a climate apocalypse?
- The promise of nuclear energy as a solution
- The limitations of renewables
- Energy portfolios
- The rebound effect
- Degrowth economics
- Activist tactics and fear mongering
- Whether The Environment has become A Deity in environmentalist circles
We expect very little pushback on this episode.
- Apocalypse Never by Michael Shellenberger.
- Greta Thunberg encouraging you to panic
- Thunberg's double crossing of the Atlantic in sailboat
- The Rebound Effect
But real climate solutions are ones that steer these interventions to systematically disperse and devolve power and control to the community level, whether through community-controlled renewable energy, local organic agriculture or transit systems genuinely accountable to their users.
Even if nuclear power were clean, safe, economic, assured of ample fuel, and socially benign, it would still be unattractive because of the political implications of the kind of energy economy it would lock us into.
-- Amory Lovins, quoted from Forbes piece by Michael Shellenberger
Send us panic-induced email at email@example.com.Support Increments